A conversation with Louis Diamond on next gens, the art of “co-leadership” and future-proofing your firm.
The concept of “succession planning” is one that many view only as a means to an end—designed to fill a gap for an outgoing leader to ensure continuity.
While that is one outcome of such a plan, there’s much more to it.
The real intent of succession planning is to “future-proof” the business—by developing a strategic guide that builds upon the leader’s vision with a focus on sustainable scale and continual growth for the future of the firm.
In this episode, Mindy and Louis Diamond share their succession planning journey—which recently culminated with the announcement that Louis will assume the role and responsibility of President of Diamond Consultants, while Mindy retains the title of Chief Executive Officer.
They share key lessons learned in the process, including:
- The value of “co-leadership”—and how that translates to an opportunity to “divide and conquer” to increase capabilities.
- Finding the right fit in a next gen—and how differences in style, experience and knowledge often add up to a better match.
- Empowering through trial runs—and how this technique yields results that enable leaders to gauge readiness.
- The essentials of planning—and identifying the proper timing and messaging for the transition.
- Defining roles and boundaries—and how both are critical to adhere to, particularly when there are personal connections and bonds which can easily interfere.
- The value of open-mindedness—and why it’s vital that everyone remain receptive to new ideas, processes and even advice.
It’s a conversation that takes a positive and fresh look at succession planning and what it can mean for the lifeblood of a business with helpful advice for employee advisors and business owners alike.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 33:33 — 39.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Podchaser | TuneIn | Deezer | Anghami | RSS
Recruiter Diamond Consultants Names New President
From ThinkAdvisor: Diamond Consultants has named Louis Diamond as its new president. Louis, previously executive vice president, takes the baton from Mindy Diamond, who remains CEO of the advisor recruiting and search firm she founded in 1998. Read->
5 Lessons Learned in Our Own Succession Planning Process
The real intent of succession planning is to “future-proof” the business—by developing a strategic guide that builds upon the leader’s vision with a focus on sustainable scale and continual growth for the future of the firm. Here’s how we did it…Read->
Succession Planning: A Cautionary Story for Independent Advisors
Avoiding these 6 most common mistakes will help protect an advisor’s business, clients and legacy. Read->
The Steps You Need to Take to Get Ready for the Future. Read->
Multi-Generational Teams at a Crossroads
Wirehouse Sunset Program or Independence? Read->
Merrill Advisors Ask…
Answers to the most frequently asked questions when considering a transition from Merrill Lynch. Download->
Also available on your favorite podcast app and other media sites