Merrill’s Platform and Lending Options
- Merrill One seems to be the strongest platform out there in terms of the sheer number of managers and the competitiveness of manager pricing. Is manager pricing higher elsewhere? Will I have to swap out managers?
- What if I rely upon U.S. Trust (recently renamed to Bank of America Private Bank) for trusteed IRAs and other trust services?
- Merrill has the best technology: Won’t I take a step back if I transition?
- Merrill’s investment models and research are essential to the way in which I manage portfolios. What would I do if I left? Do other firms have similar tools?
- My business is primarily composed of an offshore client base and Merrill is becoming much more restrictive with international business. What are my options?
- How do I access a sophisticated alternatives platform like I have at Merrill?
- Merrill’s goals-based retirement planning system is good. What would I do at other firms?
- How do I replicate the Bank of America consumer and commercial credit and lending capabilities?
- LMA is an important service for my clients. Is it available elsewhere? How do I make sure my clients aren’t impacted?
- Are clients referred by BofA, or who have a strong banking relationship with BofA, portable in a move?
Merrill’s CTP, Succession Planning and Other Common Concerns
- My partner signed on to Merrill’s CTP. Is there a way out?
- Do other firms have programs comparable to Merrill’s CTP?
- I’m 3 to 5 years from retirement; why shouldn’t I just sign on to CTP?
- One of my team members wants to retire at Merrill and will be signing CTP soon. I would prefer to move and not be locked-in for 5+ years, but what else can I do? I am not willing to walk away from my partner’s book.
- I want to bring my daughter into the business and Merrill’s PMD is a solid training program. Do other firms offer similar options?
- Regional firms, independent broker dealers and RIAs don’t have the same name cachet as Merrill. I’m concerned that my clients will not follow me if I leave the Merrill brand behind.
- What if Merrill leaves the Broker Protocol? Am I stuck? Will my transition still be successful?
- If I decide to leave Merrill, what happens to my deferred comp?
- For the most part, I have discretion over how I charge clients, but I am not paid on relationships below a certain asset level. Would this be different elsewhere?
- My CA is essential to the overall operation of my practice and Merrill pays their full salary. Can I bring my CA with me, and will a new firm cover the cost?
- Merrill’s comp plan changes are frustrating me, however I still make a great living and need to protect my take-home pay. What is the grid like at other firms?
- I’ve always wanted to write my own market commentary, customize my website and do creative things to attract new business. Will I be able to do this at other firms?
- The medical insurance is terrific at Merrill. What can I expect elsewhere?